Followers

Sunday, February 19, 2012

I will always be MotheringBoys

I've had a few people ask me how my other boy moms have responded to us adopting a girl. How I will no longer be "MotheringBoys" and how this effects those who have followed me through my journey in gender disappointment and raising of my cherished children. It kind of made me stop in my tracks to think. What do those who have turned to me (and others) in their hour of need think? Have I disappointed them more by pursuing this dream? Do they think I did not mean the things I said?

After much pondering and seeing discussions on various boards with my all boy mommy friends, and my friends who have walked the disappointment with me, I have come to the conclusion that no one begrudges me the fact that our dream may soon come true.

See, those of us with one gender families who always wished for a child of the opposite gender have a special bond. We never once say how we feel goes away. Yes, we learn to live the good life with all of our children because from the beginning, we know it isn't about that child, its the dream in our mind's eye. We endure the taunts. We see the pity in other people's eyes because we are "less than." To those who do not experience gender disappointment, they will not get what I am saying. But my dear friends who do, you know this is for you.

I never said I let go of the dream of having a daughter in my life. I never said I was over the fact I would never have an adult relationship with a child of my own. I never said that I had totally let go of my GD.

But I have said how wonderful my life is with my three little men. I have said how I have learned to appreciate where I am in life, to find joy and interact with my children because I don't know how long I hold their hands. I have found cute ways to dress my boys, relate to my boys, to wholeheartedly accept and love my boys. But, I have never let go of my daughter dream.

And I think in there lies the difference. People who know me in real life or have been my online friend for years know that this struggle has always layed in my heart. They know that given the chance to have a daughter in my life, I would have taken it (and I have!). They know I have reached out to young girls in our community to mentor them. The know I never said the desire had gone away.

In ALTERED DREAMS, my story is out there. Other people's stories are out there. We wanted to bring to the public awarenss that these feelings are normal and ok. And we did. While holding hands with each other. Along this route in my life, I have met such amazing, strong, loving men and women. I have sang with joy with them over new births, new homes, continued education. I have cried with them over lost pregnancies, divorce, financial issues, and depression.

When I look beside me to see if anyone is angry with me, do you know what I see? Total joy. Some jealousy, of course, I would feel that way if it were one of my other friends as well. But when I look around at the faces, when I hear the voices on the phone, when I see their writing to me on my blog, in emails, on BBC, or Facebook, I see joy. Because in our little community where no one wants to be, someone is getting their dream.

So no, no one has pointed their finger at me and called me a hypocrite. No one has told me I do not deserve to hold Elliana because I am to be the poster child of gender disappointment forever. On the contrary, Elliana has a slew of adopted Aunts, Uncles, and cousins that have prayed for her arrival into our lives. Who have prayed for this road we are on. Who continue to pray through this final stretch to bring her to us.

When I look around, I am humbled by the love, support, blessings, and prayers that surround my family. I thank each of you. For walking with me in my past journeys, and continuing to stay by my side now. We're still in this together.

5 comments:

Corina Biermaas House Springs, MO said...

I love you friend!

Anonymous said...

Kathy-
This post brought tears to my eyes. All we (same gender moms) have ever wanted for eachother is for our dreams to come true. It brings me so much joy to watch walk this path and welcome Eliana into your family. Whether the same happens for me or not is yet to be known but either way, there is no betrayal felt here. Whole heartedly, I'm thrilled for you.

-4boyz4mein07

Kelli said...

Kathy
You wrote this perfectly. I am happy for you that you are bringing some pink into your house because it gives me hope that someday I might too. I agree I will always have a bond with my all boy moms even if we someday have a girl.

BabyKadesMom

NYCButterfly24 said...

My first time reading this. This is beautiful and true. We decided to foster little girls after having four boys, then after our homestudy was completed, we became pregnant - with Boy #5.

Our first foster baby girl came right after I got the gender news. She left 11 months later. Raising two together like that was hard, but it also helped me to enjoy my new baby boy that much more.

Our second came two weeks after that first baby left, and is still here three years later. We don't know what will happen yet, but I do know that I've enjoyed every single moment with her.

sumita sofat said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Infertility treatment is based on the cause of your infertility problem. It can range from medicines to implanting an embryo through assisted reproductive technology (ART).