Followers

Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day

So many mixed emotions as I approach Mother's Day this year. For almost 13 years I have been an all boy mom. I have greeted Mother's Day with total joy at my children, and sometimes hatred at the Mother/Daughter events that seem to evolve this time of year. So many times I would be invited to a Mother/Daughter tea and feel that gut wrenching stab in the gut. Or a Mother/Daughter banquet at church. It was my mission to educate that not everything in life was to surround mothers and daughters. What of our sons?

I am thankful to myself that I never shied away from speaking up. A women's banquet should not be titled Mother/Daughter banquet. Mother's Day pictures should not depict ONLY mothers and daughters. Moms are moms to BOYS too. Especially me. I am a fierce boy mom. Don't try me.

So why is it that people think this year will be any different? That this year will be a Mother's Day beyond all Mother's Days because I now have a daughter? Instinctively, I get defensive. I know it. I never want my boys to think they have been displaced by thier sister. Is it because people think I finally hit the jackpot? Or is it simply that people know the journey we have traveled to add this little being to our family. Boy OR Girl. I don't know. No one ever said that to me after adding a second or third son, so I am to believe that it's because I now have a girl child.

Will this be the best mother's day ever? Maybe. Or Maybe last years was (although I can't remember what we did). Or maybe next years will be (because I'll be sleeping through the night, hopefully!). I don't know. I just know that for 12 years I have been extremely lucky to have a little person (or two, or three, or four!) in my home that calls me Momma. So for the past 12 years, I have had the best Mother's Days ever because I get to gather my little men close and revel in the fact that God entrusted me with these three perfect beings. This year I get to add little miss to that hug.

Am I grateful? Absolutely. Is our family complete. Yes. Do I cringe at Mother/Daughter connotations anymore?  Not so much. Am I looking forward to years with my children? Yes. And the reason that this Mother's Day will be the best one yet? Because my family has grown by 2 more feet. There is more love in our home. And my arm reach around my children expanded. I am truly blessed.

In my life, I know there are five things I have done right. I married my husband and we have four amazing children to share our lives with. Yep, that makes Mother's Day complete.

May you all have The Best Mother's Day Ever!

4 comments:

5boys4kathy said...

Kathy-I could have written your post. I 100% understand what you are going through...I think we are on the same journey right now :o)

Andrea said...

This is beautiful as always Kathy!

MotheringBoys said...

I'm thankful to have another all boy mom to walk this journey with, Kathy. Thanks for always being my greatest supporter!

Andrea, I love you! HUGS!

Chief Tea Drinker said...

Another lovely post. I too get really annoyed when I see only Mother/Daughter pictures on Mother's day cards and in magazine spreads. Catalogues irritate me the most when they depict the mother and daughter picking flowers in their coordinating swishy dresses and daddy and his boy fishing in matching Bermuda shorts. ARGHH! Where are the families that deviate from that "perfect" picture? I'd love to see a picture of a mum and her boys (plural)! No wonder we get a complex! Thank for your earlier reply to me by the way. I have just done our passport applications so the wheels are in motion. I can hardly bear to think about it, whether we're successful or not. I'm on autopilot.
I love the picture of your boys and their baby sister. So adorable.