Followers

Saturday, May 12, 2012



As Mother's Day quickly approaches, I would be remiss to not mention a young woman who will always hold a special place in our hearts. Elliana's birthmom. A courageous and fearless 19 year old who gave birth by c-section to her first child and then waited 18 long hours for us to arrive at the hospital to meet her. A tearful young woman who was scared to meet us, but yet she did and we fell in love with her heart and soul. A fiesty young woman who's personality I see reflected in our young daughter every day. A young woman who won't say no, who won't let life beat her down, and who made one of the most heart wrenching decisions of her short life on Feb 24, 2012 when she signed her rights away and made Elliana our daughter.

We sent a card to her, after searching and searching. There are no cards at Halmark that express your graditude. There are no cards that say exactly what it means to hold this child that grew in your heart long before she was held in your arms. There are no cards to tell a young woman who gave us one of the four greatest gifts of our lives to us just how much she means to us.

So, I found the best I could and included some pictures of this special girl in hopes that her birthmom will know how dear both of them are to us.

If you know a birthmom, let her know how much you love her. Wish her a Happy Mother's Day from all of her children. For just because she may not hold that child in her arms, she does in her heart, and her body carries the scars of that child's birth. Forever.

Every month when I take Elliana to get her "month-day" pictures taken, she wears this bracelet. It says Forever in My Heart and it has a tag with her birthmom's name on it. Her birthmom has a necklace that matches with Elliana's name on it. I cannot act like this other woman does not exist. For without her, my family would be incomplete. Without her, my sons wouldn't have a sister. My husband wouldn't have his Daddy's little girl. And I wouldn't have my Dream Come True.

Happy Mother's Day, Destiny. As I told you not so long ago, you were our destiny and we love you!

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

I love catching up on your blog Katherine! I am so happy for you and your family and new baby daughter!! We share a milestone as Feb 24th was the day my third daughter was born! I hope someday I can write a post on my own blog about our adopted fourth, a son!! Congrats to you! What a great blessing your birthmom bestowed!

Chief Tea Drinker said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. I think your attitude is wonderful and Elliana will grow up feeling all the more secure because of it.

Mona Ingram said...

Thanks Kathy for this touching, heartfelt post. It brought tears to my eyes as well.

Chief Tea Drinker said...

Just wanted to check in a see how you are getting along with your lovely family? I suppose you are too busy to think about blogging lately?