Followers

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

In a few short weeks we will be attending a family reunion in NH. I love these get togethers every 3 years, even if I am unable to attend  some in between. Seeing your traits reflected in people who walk every different path of life is amazing. To have a connection with people who's lives intertwine yours is wonderful. Last time, I introduced my third son to my extended family. This year, I will introduce my daughter.

I am eagerly waiting to place her in my cousin Gay's arms. Why? Because she was my most favorite cousin growing up. We had the most fun together. She bought me a Worlds Favorite Cousin pin once and I wore it with such pride. Gay shares something wonderful with Elliana as well. Gay was adopted into our family when she was four years old. And all of my life, I have seen how Gay was treated. As one of us. Because she is. There was never any distiction of her being adopted, unless Gay brought it up. I've known it my whole life but it has never made me think of her any differently than my favorite cousin. I cannot wait to see the love shining for our daughter in her eyes, just as there has been for each of our sons.

When I think back on these reunions, I remember how I missed the one after Kadin was born. My grandmother had died shortly before we were to go, and it was too painful on my father to attend. Instead, he visited with us and we tried to think of other things. We did go to the next one in Atlanta with two boys in tow. This was also the first time my family met Dave. Each time we get together, we celebrate new life, and reflect on those who have passed. This year, my sons will miss their Aunt Debbie, Gay's mom, who was greeted in Heaven not long ago. Shortly after she knew Elliana was in our arms. How I wish I could have sat one more time, adoptive mom to adoptive mom, and asked my Aunt Debbie some questions.

As the months pass, I realize what a journey we are on. Each child brings his own story to our lives. Each pregnancy made it's own impact. And our journey with Elliana is no different. The paper pregnancy with her touched us. Her being a part of us makes us connected to a whole different aspect of life that we never truly understood. Straddling both the bio and the adoptive world is interesting. I live each day with my eyes wide open.

Almost nine months ago we started exploring this road we are on. Just NINE months ago we started discussing adoption. We talked to friends, we did some internet searches. We talked to our boys. Last year, we lived through the summer without even knowing how this year would be changing us. We built a cabin with three bunk beds. We were incomplete and didn't realize it completely. Nine months ago my husband mentioned that he would like to look into adopting a daughter. To fulfill a dream I had for our life. To parent both genders. Little did we know where we would end up.

Today, Elliana is four months old. We are waiting to finish our last two post placement visits. We are completing paperwork for court. We will know next month when our finalization date will be. If all goes as scheduled, we will finalize our adoption after an eleven month journey. Almost to the date we decided TO adopt. That will never cease to amaze me.


That amazement I expect to see reflected in my family's eyes. Our "maybe baby" is here, thriving, and capturing all of our hearts with her existance. :)

2 comments:

Barb Malm said...

Katherine,

I continue to read your blog long after our brief encounter when you commissioned me to make a quilt from your son's baby clothing. I am so happy to read the beautiful story of your daughter's adoption and sad to hear of your aunt's passing. Life sure has it's ups and downs from one year to the next. Just last month as my 2nd daughter graduated from high school and we will now have 2 daughter's in college we were gripped with pride, excitement and then fear when my husband suddenly got laid off from his job.

Reading your blog gives me hope for the future whatever that may be. We may have to move in order to find the kind of income we are accustomed to. We certainly cannot live on the income from my small quilting business!

I just want you to know that I think you are an amazing woman and your daughter is so lucky to have had her birth mom choose you!

Have a great time in NH! I love it here and pray that we won't have to leave. Best wishes to you and yours!
Barb Malm

MotheringBoys said...

Barb,
Thank you for your kind words, and my amazing quilt! I have already started my collection of clothes for Elliana's quilt made by you as well. My dad will be contacting you soon for a tshirt quilt too (thank goodness! He has SO many tshirts!).
I am adding your family to my prayer list. We have stood in that in between world before and always trusted God would take care of us. And he has. We have had to move to get to where he wants us, but the transition has been worth it. I hope your husband finds a new job soon and you are able to stay where your roots are. Take care and keep me posted!
HUGS!