Followers

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Little Things

Many of you may remember last month when my friends' boys were in an ATV accident. My close friend, Heather's son, Cohen, lost his right thumb and had a skull fracture. Losing your right thumb is a big deal, especially when you are a 7 year old right handed boy who loves to draw. These past three weeks he has been enduring a groin fold attachment where his right hand is attached to his stomach area to grow skin for his grafts. He has always been a sensitive little boy with a big heart and a beautiful smile. I have watched him, and his two brothers, grow up in the past 6.5 years. Through all that he has been through, he is still thinking of others. This is a note I received from him.



When you walk through life without paying attention to the little things, they will pass you by. This little boy has learned the hard way how fragile life is. And is passing on his caring and loving soul. I was brought to tears by this simple note written by his LEFT hand! 

It reminded me of how many times I think of others but do not take action to let them know. When a pet dies, or if I know they are having a hard time, or even to just say THANKS! My goal is to remember to do these things. To send cards, emails, texts, FB messages, anything to let others know they are in my heart and mind.

Many of you have done this for me in the past week. Gentle reminders of our friendship, and the bond we share whether we have met in real life or not. And I appreciate each one of them. I feel completely supported and held up by my friends near and far. I cannot express the comfort this brings.

But I will always be touched most by this little note. Because I know what it took for this little guy to complete it. I know what a blessing it is that he survived his accident and is still with us today. When I see him, it takes my breath away to think about how easily our children could be taken from us by one accident. One mistake. But thankfully, that was not the case. 

Be aware of the little things around you. The tiny impacts you have on other people's lives. And the big impacts they have on yours. Take nothing for granted. Find joy in the storms. It will help you weather things much easier. Trust me. Finding joy really helps ease the soul. For if you are willing to praise God from the valleys, it makes praising him on the mountaintops that much sweeter!

Carry On! :)

3 comments:

Evil Tammy said...

Kathy, my prayers, thoughts, hugs, smiles and even tears are with you always! You never cease to amaze me and I'm so honored to call you my friend! LOVE YOU! God Bless You!

MotheringBoys said...

Tammy, you and your family have always been in my heart. The sacrifices you and your boys have had to make so that Sherman can serve our country do not go unnoticed. I marvel at the chance happening so many years ago through Home Front Hugs that brought our families together, and have kept us together all these years! Love you!

Unknown said...

Kathy I knew you would love it! He's so sweet! Thank you for writing such kind words! We love you!