Followers

Monday, October 14, 2013

Liam



On the eve of my third son's birth, I am reminded of what a struggle his pregnancy was. Not only physically, but emotionally. Three sons. No daughters. Where we were living, girls were revered, boys, not so much. To most, I drew the short stick. The losing stick. Time after time. Now that 7 years have passed, I can just barely drudge up those horrible times. I remember the words that were spoken to me, the things I was told regarding my third boy. But I also remember God's grace.

I remember the elderly lady in Walmart shopping for her great grandchildren. An older man trailing behind her, talking with her, holding her arm. When she saw my boys and my expanded belly, she asked I was having another boy. When I replied yes, I held my breath for what was to come. She was gracious and excited. She had had three boys! In fact, her third son was with her now, shopping. He took her out every week for lunch and shopping. He was her greatest joy. Thank you, Jesus, for small favors of other mothers.

When I thought I would lose my best friend because she was having a girl after her two boys, I was reminded that true friends don't stray. We are friends to this day. :)

On another low day, I was at church feeling sorry for myself and walked out by the playground. A man was doing some yard work and asked how I was doing. We got to talking and he said that he always felt special to his mother because he was her third son. Another angel on my walk. After several incidents like this, I knew I was ready to meet my little boy.



 From his scary birth on, this little guy has captured my soul and broke my heart wide open. I fully embraced being a boy mom. I know not how long I hold their hands, but they will hold my heart forever.

Tomorrow, Liam turns 7! Seven! He is getting so big. In the first grade, reading like a fiend, doing so many things for himself. He is our silly boy. The one who keeps us in stitches with his antics and funny faces. He has a ready smile, an open personality, and a giving soul that just won't quit. My life is so much richer due to my third son.  If I could look back and tell someone in these shoes what I have learned, it would be this. Embrace it. Embrace the children you are given. Boy or girl. All boys or all girls. Cherish them and the gifts they bring to your life. For how you raise them depends on if they will be there when they are older or not.

Happy Birthday, Liam! I can't imagine life without you! Love you to pieces!!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy early birthday sweet Liam! Where has the time gone?